Wednesday, May 9, 2012

When I screw up......



Expecting perfection from myself and beating myself up when I am not (which is all the time!) has been a struggle for me all of my life. I have been programmed this way by my abuse as well as the legalistic, religious background I had as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I understand the struggle of wanting to bring glory to God but seeming to do the opposite of that most of the time.

I know that Paul said that what he wanted to do, he didn't do and what he didn't do was what he practiced but I have always struggled believing that his struggles were at the same depth as mine....just based on what the Bible says about him. So I wanted to share the devotional I read today from the book, "Jesus Calling....Enjoying Peace in His Presence" by Sarah Young. I would highly recommend this book to anyone but especially abuse survivors who struggle with belief in His love for them. Each daily devotional is written as if Jesus were speaking directly to the reader....which ministers to me in a different way than reading other devotionals. So without further adieu, here is the devotional for today:

     "DON'T BE SO HARD ON YOURSELF." I can bring good even out of your mistakes. Your finite mind tends to look backward, longing to undo decisions you have come to regret. This is a waste of time and energy, leading only to frustration. Instead of floundering in the past, release your mistakes to Me. Look to Me in trust, anticipating that My infinite creativity can weave both good choices and bad into a lovely design.
     Because yuou are human, you will continue to make mistakes. Thinking that you should live an error free life is symptomatic of pride. Your failures can be a source of blessing, humbling you and giving you empathy for other people in their weaknesses. Best of all, failure highlights your dependence on Me. I am able to bring beauty out of the morass* of your mistakes. Trust Me, and watch to see what I will do."     Romans 8:28
*something that hinders or overwhelms

I hope that this gives you a different view of your mistakes. I know that berating myself for my failures is only from the heart of the enemy. The truth is that the Lord loves us passionately and only wants to build us up and encourage us to walk with Him. So rest in that truth today......YOU are special and YOU are loved!

No comments: