Monday, May 21, 2012

My feelings are NOT reality!



I want to share the devotional I read today in  "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young.

     "I WANT YOU TO KNOW how safe and secure you are in My presence. That is a fact, totally independent of your feelings. You are on your way to heaven; nothing can prevent you from reaching that destination. There you will see Me fact to face, and your joy will be off the charts by any earthly standards. Even now, you are never separated from Me, though you must see me through eyes of faith. I will walk with you till the end of time, and onward into eternity.

     Although My presence is a guaranteed promise, that does not necessarily change your feelings. When you forget I am with you, you may experience loneliness or fear. It is through awareness of My presence that peace displaces negative feelings. Practice the discipline of walking consciously with Me through each day."

I always enjoy looking in God's word for scriptural backup to solidify any devotion I write or share with you. I found a Psalm that does so in such a beautifully picturesque way. The 23rd Psalm is so well known that sometimes we can start to miss the depth of the message therein. So, meditate on it and let it be a comfort to you in these stressful times.

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

With my background, both at home and in the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses, I can't get enough reassurance of the Lord's everlasting love for me. During my times of doubting His love or just feeling unloveable, period, I cling to the truth of the sentence I underlined. Regardless of how I FEEL, the absolute truth is that He loves me and NOTHING I do can EVER change that! That same truth applies to you. There is NOTHING you can do that will destroy His love for you! We can't undo the damage our abuse did to our hearts as well as our faith. BUT, we CAN ask Him to work healing in these areas. I encourage you to do just that, with the confidence that He has already promised healing to those who ask for it.



    

No comments: