Monday, May 14, 2012

My thoughts on Friday's post....

I said that I would share my thoughts on Friday's puzzle with you so here they are.

     1. Don't panic - If we can remember that the battle is already won through the blood of our Lord and Savior and His eternal love for us....why should we panic?

     2. Assess your situation - a friend pointed out that it would be good to do this trusting in Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him..."

     3. Find shelter - Well, what does literal shelter do? It protects and provides a feeling of safety right? So, keeping that in mind....The Bible tells us in Ephesians 6:16 that faith is a shield, that helps us "extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one." thus providing protection. In addition, I have always found that while in prayer I experience a feeling of safety. I also see the body of Christ as a place to receive shelter.

     4. Build a fire - Literal fire serves several different purposes:

a. It protects against the elements by providing heat.
b. It is also a source of light, which keeps wild animals away as well as identifying our position.
c. Additionally, it provides a way to prepare the nourishment mentioned in tip #6.

So, regarding protection....the Holy Spirit is described as fire and being filled with the Holy Spirit as well as having it move in my life is definitely a protection. I also see fellowship with the body of Christ (ie, my brothers and sisters) as a protection. I struggle at times with wanting to isolate myself. But when I do, it makes it easier to allow dark thoughts and fears as well as the whisperings of Satan to enter into my heart. Yet, as soon as I have a conversation with a friend who really knows the Lord, those negative thoughts can be dispelled. As far as light goes...the Bible is called "a lamp to my feet and a light for my path" in Psalm 119:105. And that same fellowship I mentioned as a protection is also a source of light when it shines the light of God's love for me and His faithfulness in watching over me into a dark situation.

     5. Drink water - The Bible refers to several things as spiritual water. Jesus, when speaking to the Samaritan woman called the truth of salvation "living water." The Bible itself provides many needed words of refreshment for the weary soul. The Bible also speaks of the refreshment that comes from a well-spoken and well-timed word, to my mind showing that fellowship is a source of refreshing water in a dry land. And I have also found that worshipping the Lord with my brothers and sisters can quench the thirst that pressures and trials can cause.

     6. Find nourishment - The Word of God is the best nourishment there is. Also fellowship with those who love the Lord is nourishing to soul as well as hearing the Word of God being taught in a Spirit-filled message.

It is my prayer that maybe these thoughts will bring to mind the necessities of survival the next time you find yourself walking through a spiritual wilderness. The Lord loves us as His precious children and has made certain that we have access to everything we need to walk victoriously through the desert and into the paradise that awaits us on the other side.

     "Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."   Joshua 1:9

No comments: