Friday, December 1, 2006

Growth Means Change

I met with a wonderful couple tonight that have many years of faithful service to the Lord so they could go over the scriptural truths about assured salvation with me. This is a relatively new concept since I was one of Jehovah's Witnesses for 32 years! There was no assured salvation in my belief system so this is a hard concept to wrap my mind around. I was really struggling with strong feelings of fear and even resentment as I was driving there because it feels like 32 years of my life was wasted in falsehood even if it was with the best intentions. That's the problem, good living and good intentions did not make me one with God. So as we went through the scriptures and I am glad to say that there is an endless supply of them that show in no uncertain terms that God guarantees the salvation of anyone that asks for forgiveness of their sins and completely turns their lives over to Him. Sorry, don't mean to sound like a sermon, it is just an amazing process to realize that it is hard to let go of what I know even though it is for something much better than what I had! And I realize that letting go is an important part of my growing up (so to speak). I find in every day that goes by I encounter some area that I need to change but am blessed to have proof, on a regular basis, that I am the better for it. So be encouraged that while it can be comfortable to stay complacently where you are......change, especially when the direction is even subtly towards God, will ALWAYS make you a better person!!! Take it from me....one woman that can be very stubborn, I go to bed tonight a better person than when I woke up this morning and it is all because of a openness to change.

4 comments:

Mel said...

Beryl, I think you had an excellent summary of your time with the Harvey's tonight. Keep hanging on the screen door and learn all you can from the scriptures and from people who are living the life they teach about. You are a special young lady that God wants to bless and to use in helping others into His wonderful Kingdom. Bless you, Mel

Beryl Williams said...

Thank you for your words of encouragement Mel. I tried to go to your devotional blog and it kept coming back as no match. Could you type it in here for me and that way anyone else that might appreciate reading your daily devotionals has access as well. It was a real joy fellowshipping with you and the Harveys last night. May the Lord bless you too!

plants said...

You are really a Jehovahs witness now!!Scripture is always the source for our truth but there is another direction to your question too,logic.If I am left in doubt about my status with God, I have but two roads to resolve the dilemma, first is through my own efforts.There will never be an end to this road since I can always ask, have I done enough?, and is it sufficient to God's standards? On the other hand, the road of grace and mercy,is simply one of accepting what another has accomplished. This road MUST have absolute security or its by defintion, the OTHER road. It must be either salvation by grace with security, or salvation by works with uncertainity. The two can't co-exist. Since the Bible clearly teaches that all was accomplished on the cross, then the Bible teaches grace and therefore security. I love you my Beryl! always your Neil

Mel said...

Thanks, Beryl, here is my blogg you can visit or anyone else it is www.melqt.blogspot.com/ I hope you enjoy and God's richest be yours. Mel